Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

thing #7b

[“Hipster” is more than a noun — it’s a lifestyle. An overused, albeit elastic, coinage, it can describe everything from vintage T-shirt connoisseurs to anyone who kinda sorta maybe knows Cory Kennedy. And now it’s a subject of highbrow discourse. N+1, the Dumbo-based “journal of politics, literature and culture,” aims to shed new light on the phenomenon with the release of “What Was the Hipster?: A Sociological Investigation” (n+1 Foundation, $10), a pocket-size pop theory text on topics ranging from the aesthetics of party photography to the, ahem, “hipster Other.” ]

     I had to repost part of this review for everyone to read.  I found the book ad on my fashion feed, http://www.nytimes.com/pages/fashion/index.html?partner=rss&emc=rss.  For any person of my generation who is bored to death with overpriced 'goodwill' clothing that has overtaken our mainstream stores, or sick of seeing men in pants shorter and tighter than my own, hopefully this book will explain why that is exactly.  What I find even more irritating is the fact that my friends and myself have been thriftstore shopping for years and were teased  by many who are now wearing the same thing but because it is labled 'high fashion'.  I guess it holds true that we will never wear anything that hasn't been worn, just as we will never write anything that hasn't already been written!

No comments:

Post a Comment